Blog Entry 1



Blog Entry 1- Introduction

A little something about me:


Hi, My name is Rainier and I’m from South Africa. I was born in Cape Town. I moved to the USA when I was 3 years old, and lived there until I was 11. I moved back to South Africa, stayed for a year, then moved yet again, to the UAE. I am studying in Raha International school for the past 6 years. I play rugby and enjoy sport and fitness. And food, lots and lots of food. I love learning new things, especially languages, even though I am really bad at them. I can speak Afrikaans (semi fluently), English (kinda) , and I’m learning French. I can get by with Dutch and Flemish. I basically can’t speak anything.

Language as had a major role in my life in many different aspects of my life. It defines who I am as a person, I feel. Being bilingual I can communicate to a broader range of people, and being Afrikaans I can talk to people in South Africa and Nambia, and at least understand enough of the language in Holland and Belgium. The language I speak, also identifies me, as people can tell, Im not from a majority English speaking country.

It is important to study language and not just the English language, because it is important to see how language grows and develops, but also how people use language and bend the rules of language in different ways to accommodate them. It is also important to see how language is used in different mediums and situations.

I haven’t really ever felt any language barriers because being bilingual, you find different ways on how to portray things.

This blog will (hopefully) showcase my goals, my awkwardly styled writing, my thoughts and opinions, and quirky interests. I hope you enjoy and follow along!

Goals and achievements, I would like to accomplish  

The goals I have are vague, yet still give me a good direction, when I need it. By the end of grade 12, my goals are, to get accepted in the university of my choice, be that in the, UK, Europe, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa. I want to study Business Management and Economics in University. I eventually want a career as a Financial Advisor in a company like the deVere group or Globaleye. Another big goal of mine is to be organized and independent enough to get through university. At the moment, I am not the most organized of people! I am still working on being organized and becoming more independent when I work. 1 more big goal I want to achieve before I finish grade 12 is that, I want to be fitter and healthier than I am today. I don’t just want to be fitter and healthier because it will make me a “better” person or something like that, I just want to be fitter so I feel healthier and so I can improve in the sport I play.

By the end of Uni, I still want to play rugby or be involved in rugby in some way. I don’t want to lose playing or being involved in rugby once I get to university because it’s a sport I love. After university, I want to work for a financial company, especially a financial consultant company. Also I would love to live in a new country/ or at least visit new countries all the time because I love travelling. The main reason I love travelling is because of the different languages and the different cultures that come with travelling the world.

By the time I’m 30, I just want to be stable in life. I want to be married with at least 1 kid already and be advancing in my career as a financial advisor/consultant.

These are my goals I want to achieve at different stages and benchmarks in my life. Hopefully I achieve them, if I don’t, well that’s a shame.


 I at least  try everything (except weird food)


I still am a happy child at heart. Also people get annoyed by me but they love me, so they end up doing my cousins face =)))))) 

Comments

  1. Great introduction. Understanding of your style of writing and personality. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your goal and your childhood picture is so adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good introduction about yourself and your goals really varies. A good read. I would love to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked what you said about people bending the rules of a language so that they can speak it because it is so true and you can see that happen even in school. Also, I hope you achieve all your goals and I love your baby pic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew that you lived in America, so there actually are things I still don't know about you (surprisingly). With your language, you're able to talk to people from different regions of the world, as well as your home nation, which I must say I envy. With Icelandic, there's really only about 350,000 people I can talk to, while you can talk to millions most likely. Hopefully I'll be able to learn some more new things about you in future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good introduction, it tells about the basic information that we all at least should know about you. you also mentioned a few interesting facts about your life which were pretty cool and gives us little more knowledge about you. you're goals were pretty detailed as well. your goals tell us what kind of man you want to be or strive for. And the pictures are great banter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rainier. This was an enjoyable first post. You seem to have a very interesting relationship with language. I anticipate that many of the concepts we explore in this first unit will resonate with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Martin Luther King Jr. - "I have a Dream" Short Commentary

Blog Post – David Foster Wallace and Zora Neale Hurston